Friday, July 15, 2011

Hey! why don't you try....

Visiting your local beauty school?
Don't worry, your limited funds don't have to limit your hair happiness.

In this economy us girls can't always afford a trip to the salon when we are feeling blah. So does that mean we are destined to walk the earth with split ends and less that vibrant hues? I think not... Instead, why don't you hit up a beauty school? I know what you're thinking, but trust me you will get a cut you love! Some do's and dont's of beauty school trips

DO speak up. Want bangs? blunt or sideswept? How about length? Use your hands to show how long or short you want you hair to fall. If you want swingy layers that blend together over edgy razor sliced strands, make sure your stylist knows this. DON'T just say "uh, yea I just want layers...blah blah blah" you may end up with the opposite of what you want.

DON'T Be afraid. In most beauty schools the students who actually work with the public are seniors just about ready to take their State Board exams. And a supervisor must watch over the whole process to make sure they don't make mistakes.

DO be appreciative. In the wise wise words of a certain Lafayette Reynolds... Tip yo' waitress. But of course in this case we are talking hair stylists (pay attention). They really go the extra mile, and make you feel like you are walking out of a high profile NYC salon to the stars (without shelling out copious amounts of moolah).

Moral of the story? You can't go wrong going to a beauty school for a great cut and color. They need the practice and well, you are going to get preferential treatment with amazing results! AND  because the students are going to pull out all the stops to show how awesome they are to their instructors (read head massage and bouncy blowout). And just so you know, Im not pulling this all out my butt either. I actually always go to my local beauty school for cuts and sometimes color (if not, you bet your ass I'm doing it myself) I once went and got all over color, highlights, cut, and a blowout for $70. Yes 7-0 big ones. (true story) And since doing so I've never been unsatisfied with the cut.

Visit http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/ for more information on what services your local beauty schools offer. (Trust me, they're everywhere!)


Enjoy!